This is a short story collection of five contemporary events, all fiction, with drama and humor entries.
1. “Double Cross”: A young woman is relocated by the Witness Protection Program to a position as hospital admission director in another state. But an assassin hired by her imprisoned husband, finds her. But when they meet, the unexpected happens.
2. “The Little Statue”: An illegal Latino immigrant loses his job and becomes homeless, and lives on the street. A female police officer befriends him and tries to convince him to seek refuge on a cold snowy night. But unwilling to go to a shelter, and alone, he slowly freezes to death. But toward the end he, has a vision of his favorite saint, Our Lady of Guadalupe, and he becomes peaceful, serene, and joyful.
3. “Private Gagliardi Meets the Army”: A young 19-year-old man, with an exceptionally high IQ, joins the US Army and befuddles his sergeant with his amazing knowledge. But as he solves problems with ease, his sergeant becomes jealous and plans to get back at him, which only back-fires as the unruffled private continues to astound his fellow soldiers.
4. “The Black and White Roses”: A married couple buy a cemetery lot in their hometown, planning ahead for the future. But later, as they revisit the site, they are shocked to see bouquets of black and white roses laying on the lot. There is no note or any other indication of who might have left them, and they become increasingly fearful as other bouquets reappear each time the others are removed.
5. “Momma’s Gonna Have a Baby”: A 70-year-old widow is shocked to learn that she is pregnant at a routine medical examination by her doctor. After the fact settles in her mind, she becomes overjoyed at the news. However, her feelings are not shared by her two married daughters.