A diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease can be frightening and overwhelming – and not just for the patient. Becoming the primary caregiver for a newly diagnosed loved one can be one of the most challenging – and one of the most rewarding – experiences possible.
In Understand Alzheimer’s: A First-Time Caregiver’s Plan to Understand & Prepare for Alzheimer’s & Dementia, you’ll find a wealth of practical and useful information to help you and your loved one deal with a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease. Understand Alzheimer’s is a guide to providing compassionate care for a spouse, parent, sibling, or friend, from the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease until the end of life. Understand Alzheimer’s is a comprehensive and thoughtful guide to caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s, with:
- An in-depth explanation of the 7 stages of Alzheimer’s disease and what the diagnosis means
- Checklists for how to prepare your loved one’s surroundings for safety and ease of activities
- Compassionate advice for managing your stress and finding the balance to keep you from feeling depressed, lonely, and isolated
- A list of resources with information for supporting those with Alzheimer’s disease, and organizations that can help build a caregiving network
- A guide to Alzheimer’s treatment options and a checklist for dealing with medical professionals
- Helpful suggestions for managing the changes in your loved one’s behavior
Living with Alzheimer’s disease presents daily challenges for both the caregiver and patient. Understand Alzheimer’s is a practical guide that helps you and your loved one cope with Alzheimer’s while maintaining the best quality of life possible for both of you.