Learn how to achieve more by doing less! Live in that zone you’ve glimpsed but can’t seem to hold on to – the sweet spot where you have the greatest strength, but also the greatest ease.
Not long ago, Christine Carter, a happiness expert at UC Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center and a speaker, writer, and mother, found herself exasperated by the busyness of modern life: too many conflicting obligations and not enough time, energy, or patience to get everything done. She tried all the standard techniques – prioritizing, multitasking, delegating, even napping – but none really worked. Determined to create a less stressful life for herself – without giving up her hard-won career success or happiness at home – she road-tested every research-based tactic that promised to bring more ease into her life. Drawing on her vast knowledge of the latest research related to happiness, productivity, and elite performance, she followed every strategy that promised to give her more energy – or that could make her more efficient, creative, or intelligent.
Her trials and errors are our reward. In The Sweet Spot, Carter shares the combination of practices that transformed her life from overwhelmed and exhausting to joyful, relaxed, and productive. From instituting daily micro-habits that save time to bigger picture shifts that convert stress into productive and creative energy, The Sweet Spot shows us how to:
- say “no” strategically and when to say “yes” with abandon
- make decisions about routine things once to free our minds to focus on higher priorities
- stop multitasking and gain efficiency
- “take recess” in sync with the brain’s need for rest
- use technology in ways that bolster, instead of sap, energy
- increase your ratio of positive to negative emotions