If you want to discover the captivating history of the Peloponnesian War, then pay attention….
The Peloponnesian War enveloped the entire Greek world, from Syracuse on the island of Sicily to the shores of western Turkey. It ravaged the Greek population and produced great hardships, and it led to the eventual downfall of the Athenian Empire and the rise of the Spartan Empire.
While it’s true that war should be avoided at all costs, it’s also true that it’s a great teacher. It shows people who they are, and it forces them to rise up in the face of great adversity. And while the Athenians did eventually fall to the Spartans, neither side won or lost. The only losers were those who lived during this tragic conflict that was defined by famine and plague, and the only winners were those who came afterward and who were able to enjoy the tremendous advancements in human culture that came from one of the most prolific conflicts of all time.
In this book, you will discover topics such as:
- Understanding Peloponnese
- The Peloponnesian and Delian leagues
- Rising tensions between Athens and Sparta: The First Peloponnesian war to the 30 years’ peace
- The Archidamian war to the peace of Nicias
- The attack of Syracuse brings more war
- The Ionian War and the fall of Athens
- Fighting in an Ancient Greek army
- The war’s impact on Greek culture
- Philosophy during war: Socrates
- And much, much more!