Need to breathe life into your characters?
You may have a great story but if your characters are flat and uninteresting your listeners will find your story dull. If your lead protagonist isn’t generating empathy, then no one cares what happens to them. Character Development covers every aspect of character building; from developing charismatic and believable people, to making sure they work holistically to drive the narrative forward in realistic ways.
Know your anti-hero from your antagonist
In order to create compelling characters your fans will love, Marsh introduces the 12-character types and explains how and when they are introduced to a story. She demonstrates the importance of instilling flaws to create a balance of human qualities that evolve throughout the novel in captivating ways.
Make unforgettable characters
Character development is a much-needed step-by-step guide to help authors create remarkable protagonists and to decide which characters are necessary to the plot. Marsh delivers a groundbreaking 176 questions to consider while creating characters. An author need never struggle again to generate memorable heroes and villains!
Ten samples of the 176 character-forming questions:
- When communicating, what is the pace that this person communicates with?
- What posture do they tend to have?
- What does their average day look like? Be specific.
- What is the most significant event that took place in your character’s childhood?
- If your character does have a criminal record, how did they get it and where were they when the event happened?
- How is your character perceived by strangers?
- How does your character react to people who challenge them?
- Does your character have any psychological issues such as phobias, mental illnesses, or otherwise?