This user’s guide to Buddhist basics takes the most commonly asked questions – beginning with “What is the essence of the Buddha’s teachings?” – and provides simple answers in plain English. Thubten Chodron’s responses to the questions that always seem to arise among people approaching Buddhism make this an exceptionally complete and accessible introduction – as well as a manual for living a more peaceful, mindful, and satisfying Life. Buddhism for Beginners is an ideal first book on the subject for anyone, but it’s also a wonderful resource for seasoned students, since the question-and-answer format makes it easy to find just the topic you’re looking for, such as:
- What is the goal of the Buddhist path?
- What is karma?
- If all phenomena are empty, does that mean nothing exists?
- How can we deal with fear?
- How do I establish a regular meditation practice?
- What are the qualities I should look for in a teacher?
- What is Buddha-nature?
- Why can’t we remember our past lives?