About Modern Standard Arabic:
- Modern Standard Arabic (MSA), also known as Standard Arabic or Literary Arabic, is the variety of Arabic used in writing and in formal speech.
- MSA is spoken by an estimated 300 million people worldwide.
- It is one of the six official languages of the United Nations.
- Modern Standard Arabic is the official language of all Arab countries and is the only form of Arabic taught in schools at all levels. Because of this, MSA is the lingua franca of all educated Arabic speakers, regardless of nationality or spoken native dialect.
- It is used in the news, schools, official documents, and courts of law.
- MSA bears great resemblance to Classical Arabic, the language of ancient poetry and the Quran.
- The Modern Standard Arabic alphabet contains 28 basic letters and is read from right to left.
The Pimsleur® Method: the easiest, fastest way to learn a new language. Completely portable, easily downloadable, and lots of fun. You’ll be speaking and understanding in no time flat! Modern Standard Arabic Level 2 Lessons 26-30 build on material taught in prior lessons. Each lesson provides 32 minutes of spoken-language practice, with an introductory conversation and new vocabulary and structures. Detailed instructions enable you to understand and participate in the conversation. Each lesson contains practice for vocabulary introduced in previous lessons. The emphasis is on pronunciation and comprehension and on learning to speak Modern Standard Arabic. Reading lessons are included after Lesson 30. These lessons, which total about 80 minutes, give you practice reading Arabic and provide you with insight into Arab culture, common expressions, and a broad look at things you’ll see when visiting an Arabic-speaking country. A reading booklet to be used with the audio reading lessons is included.